The trick to making a delicious Mac and cheese is its cheese sauce. For a tasty Mac and Cheese casserole recipe you need different kinds of cheese plus heavy cream to make it creamy, heavy and gooey so that the cauliflower can easily absorb the sauce. Cauliflower has been used in this macaroni cheese casserole recipe because of its versatility.
Cauliflower is rich in antioxidants and various vitamins. It is a rich source of vitamin C and provides about 70% Vitamin C of the daily value in just one cup. Since, humans cannot produce Vitamin C; it is all the more important to add foods that are a rich source of Vitamin C, which boosts our immune system. This is a water soluble vitamin that is responsible for a wide variety of different body processes like repair of tissues, absorption of iron and decrease of the bad cholesterol.
Cauliflower contains Vitamin K which prevents blood clotting and maintains a healthy metabolism. It is also known to fight inflammation and lowers the risk of developing cancers. With so many health benefits, it is a good way to consume this healthy vegetable along with Mac and cheese. The addition of heavy cream gives it a rich and creamy texture. This is an ultimate comfort dish that will satisfy your cravings for pasta and also provide a wide variety of nutritional benefits.
This skinny cauliflower macaroni cheese casserole will be ready in 35 minutes time and won’t cause any blood sugar spikes like the traditional recipes. Enjoy this as a side dish or as a topping without any guilt.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 Kosher salt as needed plus ½ teaspoon
- 1 large cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1 Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 oz cream cheese cut into small pieces
- 1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded, plus ½ cup as topping for the casserole
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Boil a large pot of water and season it with salt.
- Spray the baking sheet with a vegetable oil spray.
- Once the water is boiled, add the cauliflower into the pot and allow it to cook until it is crisp and tender. This will take about 5 minutes. Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a baking dish and set it aside.
- Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan and to this add in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in a cup of cheese, pepper, salt and garlic and whisk nicely until the cheese melts for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Once done, remove from the stove and pour it over the cauliflower and stir well to combine. Top with the remaining ½ cup of cheese and bake until it is browned and hot for about 15 minutes.
- Serve warm