Bacon cheeseburger puff rolls are my favorite snacks. I love to grab one of these bacon cheeseburger rollup and have them on the go. This cheeseburger recipe is a perfect snack or an appetizer for your holidays. Slice it in thinner slices or bit pieces, which make it ideal as a party snack or as an appetizer. It is a terrific recipe for mothers with kids and for those who lead a busy life. With just a few ingredients you can make this delicious puff rolls at home within 45 minutes.
This Bacon cheeseburger puffs recipe calls for home cooked bacon cheeseburger filling that is nicely wrapped in a puff pastry roll making it an easy meal to make even on the busy weeknights for you and your family. With this recipe the dinner time has become all the more fun and exciting. With some innovative thinking you can work around with different vegetables and meat and make it more interesting for everyone. You can choose different herbs, green vegetables and even substitute ground beef with ground turkey or your favorite sausage. Instead of the puff pastry you can also use the pizza dough; the possibilities are endless with this recipe. So put on your thinking caps and experiment with the various ingredients so that every day you have an almost new recipe to serve that can play with your taste buds.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
• 1 pound ground beef ( ground chunk recommended)
• 6 slices thick uncooked bacon, chopped
• 1 cup medium diced sweet onion
• ½ cup diced sweet red bell pepper
• 4 cloves garlic minced
• ½ teaspoon dried basil
• ½ teaspoon dried oregano crushed
• 2 green onions (scallions) thinly sliced with green tops included
• ½ cup ketchup
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground pepper to taste
• 2 sheets puff pastry thawed
• 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
• 1 egg white lightly beaten
How to make
• Preheat the oven to 400 degree F
• Lay out a jellyroll pan with a silpat baking liner or even a parchment paper will do
• Place the ground beef, sweet onion and bacon in a large and deep skillet and sauté until bacon has rendered its fat and the onions have turned translucent. Break up the ground beef as you sauté and drain well
• Add red bell pepper and garlic to the ground beef. Sauté for an additional 2 minutes
• Remove from heat and stir in basil, oregano, green onions and ketchup. Add salt and pepper according to taste. Allow the mix to cool to room temperature
• Place a sheet of puff pastry between two sheets of plastic wrap and gently roll out to a rectangle shape of approximately 12 inches by 10 inches. Remove the top piece of plastic wrap
• Spread half of the ground beef mix on the puff pastry leaving an inch clear on each of the four sides. Sprinkle with half of the cheddar cheese
• Use the bottom plastic sheet to roll the puff pastry and filling it lengthwise into a log. Use the egg white as a glue to seal the roll. Gently press both the ends and close
• Use a plastic wrap and lift the roll onto the prepared jellyroll pan or parchment paper and place the seam side down. Repeat the process with the left over sheets of puff pastry to get two rolls
• Brush the top of the bacon cheeseburger puff rolls with egg white mix and bake it for 20 to 25 minutes until it turns golden brown
• After baking, let it rest for 10 minutes
• Slice the rolls in diagonal shapes into 4 pieces to serve
Tips regarding puff pastry
• If you are selecting a store brought frozen puff pastry, then go for the ones that use pure butter. Check the labels before you purchase a frozen puff pastry because many of them use oil or other fats that are not as tasty as the ones made using butter.
• Allow the frozen puff pastry to thaw in the refrigerator overnight to ensure that the butter layers and dough remain nice and cold.
• The trick to working with puff pastry is to move quickly while it is chilled, which is also one of the reasons why we want to cool the ground beef mixture before adding it to the dough.
Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)
Total Fat: 51g
Saturated Fat: 18g
Unsaturated Fat: 14g
Dietary fiber: 2g